Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Eagle Eye" on DVD well worth a look.

With Eagle Eye's recent DVD release, it's time you learned the truth about director D.J. Caruso: despite mediocre films like Disturbia and Two for the Money, the man actually can direct.
Of course, it's not direction alone that made Eagle Eye a damn good flick; it was a combination of factors. First, it lacked the transparency of most government thrillers, where your suspect list is sometimes one person long. Eagle remained suspenseful and kept you guessing until the end without much of the black and white aspects of likened films. I'll pick on Executive Decision, though it certainly doesn't stand alone. Will the terrorist annihilate the entire eastern seaboard? Umm, no, they won't. Contrastingly, Eagle keeps its cards hidden with plenty of action and intrigue to maintain interest.
It's been accused of being too fast, actually, but Shia LaBeouf's quips and Billy Bob Thorton's snippiness add flavor and a break from the action. I don't think it ranks as an "exhausting" film at all.
It's likewise been accused of being a little too close to Enemy of the State, though - aside from some camera angles and Big Brother moments - I think they are totally different films with perhaps the same demographic. In other words, I watched Eagle Eye thinking about it, not thinking about Enemy or any other films with "eye in the sky" technology and camera work.
There is a sadness to the characters that I like, as well. Kind of like in The Last Boyscout. There's something about the reluctant hero that we're drawn to, and I certainly felt it with Eagle Eye.
Far be it from me to ruin any nitty-gritty parts with spoilers, but let me just say that what seems an impossibility in the beginning begins to coalesce into a believable (though disturbing) possibility. And I welcome counter-opinions on this, though be sure to precede spoilers with a spoiler notice.
While this only sometimes holds true, I'm going to say that if you watch the preview and liked it - being, in my mind, a very fair representation of the pace and quality of the film, then you'll like the whole movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment